The Joseph Carpenter Silversmith Shop was built by Joseph Carpenter between 1772 and 1774 on the Norwichtown Green. It still looks much the same as it did when Joseph worked there as a silversmith and clockmaker. Two of his clocks are on display at the Leffingwell and his shop is open to the public as a testimonial to the tradesmen who worked around the Green an in Norwich during Revolutionary times. The Society of the Founders acquired the building in 1956. The shop, where Carpenter also made clocks, may be the only frame silversmith shop surviving in New England. The shop was added to the National Register of Historic Places on October 6, 1970 and it was listed as a contributory property for the Norwichtown Historic District on January 17, 1973.
It is open to the public as of June 12th until the end of October from 11am-3pm at 71 East Town Street, Norwich. Free admission, donations much appreciated & welcomed!